Diversity, equity and inclusion scholarships
The CIA and the Actuarial Students’ National Association (ASNA) are pleased to present the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Scholarships each year. These scholarships were established in 2023 to recognize and celebrate the importance of diversity and inclusion in the actuarial profession and the broader community.
Our commitment to fostering the future generation of actuaries, promoting math literacy and ensuring the long-term financial stability of all Canadians is at the heart of these scholarships.
We recognize the significance of diversity, equity and inclusion in the actuarial profession and society at large. Our mission with these scholarships is threefold:
- Increase Indigenous representation: We aim to strengthen the Indigenous presence in the actuarial profession by offering opportunities and financial support to Indigenous students pursuing actuarial studies.
- Promote diversity and inclusion: We seek to celebrate and reward exceptional efforts made to enhance diversity and inclusion within the actuarial community. This includes supporting underrepresented groups such as:
- Black, Indigenous and other people of colour;
- people with disabilities; and
- members of the 2SLGBTQI+ community.
- Support academic excellence: We are committed to supporting students who exhibit outstanding academic achievement in their actuarial studies.
Each year, we offer three scholarships to undergraduate students working towards an Associate of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries (ACIA) or Fellow of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries (FCIA) designation. The scholarships are open to both domestic and international students and are available in both French and English.
- Indigenous Scholarship
This scholarship is designed for Indigenous students pursuing actuarial studies.
- Inclusive Culture Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to students who have made significant contributions to advancing diversity and inclusion in the actuarial profession.
- Academic Achievement Scholarship
This scholarship is dedicated to individuals in their first or second year of an undergraduate program in actuarial science or related studies who have demonstrated exceptional academic achievement.
These scholarships were established as part of our commitment to a diverse, equitable and inclusive future for the actuarial community and all Canadians. We are dedicated to celebrating and supporting those who share our vision for a more inclusive society.
How to apply
The application period is now closed. Check back in the Fall to apply.
Additional scholarships for actuarial students
Some of our partners also offer scholarships for actuarial students, including:
- The Actuarial Foundation of Canada offers multiple scholarships and bursaries for both graduate and undergraduate students, including the Equality of Opportunity Fund and the Memorial Actuarial Indigenous Scholarship.
- The International Association of Black Actuaries provides scholarships at the undergraduate and graduate level to qualified Black students.
- ScholarshipsCanada is a searchable database of scholarships for all disciplines across Canada and beyond.