Diversity, equity and inclusion
We believe that integrity, objectivity and improving the lives of all Canadians are fundamental principles guiding our commitment to upholding the public interest. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse community because we understand that our strength lies in our varied abilities, experiences, professional backgrounds and identities. We work to remove implicit bias and unjust barriers to entry to the Canadian actuarial profession and to employment with the Institute.
We strive to be representative of the diverse public we serve.
We stand against discrimination on any basis, including race, religion, gender, sexual orientation and more.
We ensure that our members, volunteers, staff and other stakeholders feel welcomed, connected and valued.
We focus on:
Education and awareness
- Providing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) training and resources to our team and volunteers.
- Incorporating DEI principles into our education programs.
- Offering DEI-focused professional development for our members.
Recruitment, selection and retention
- Breaking down biases in our recruitment process.
- Establishing non-discriminatory hiring procedures.
- Actively increasing diversity in recruitment and speaker lists.
Communications and publications
- Using inclusive language in all our communications.
- Incorporating unbiased imagery and iconography.
- Providing content in bilingual, alternative and accessible formats.
Policies and operations
- Collecting data and conducting surveys to meet member and stakeholder needs.
- Modernizing policies to eliminate bias.
- Allocating a budget for DEI activities.
Outreach and relationship-building
- Establishing relationships with diverse community networks.
- Collaborating with actuarial employers on DEI issues.
- Hosting community-focused events and discussions.
- Featuring community-focused content on our channels.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Advisory Group
Members of the CIA’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Advisory Group (DEIAG) provide Head Office staff with advice, opinions and support to help the CIA’s efforts in addressing the diversity, equity and inclusion needs of its members, including:
- recognizing opportunities for the CIA to improve DEI elements;
- providing insight for goal-setting related to DEI;
- discussing trends in DEI and their impact on the CIA;
- recommending updates to related policies and procedures;
- advising on the development of working groups to undertake DEI initiatives; and
- championing issues and activities relating to DEI within the membership.
Do you have feedback for the DEIAG?
Empowering a diverse future through our annual DEI Scholarships
Our unwavering commitment to creating a brighter, more inclusive future is epitomized through our annual DEI Scholarships, offered in collaboration with the Actuarial Students’ National Association (ASNA). These scholarships serve as a testament to our dedication in fostering a diverse and inclusive actuarial community.
Available every year, these scholarships empower aspiring actuaries from all backgrounds to pursue their dreams, foster inclusivity and make a meaningful impact on the world.Learn more